Saturday, January 10, 2015

Saturday's Scribbles

It is Saturday morning in our corner of the world and the weather has been the main topic of conversation.  The past two weeks of my blogation were not spent on the beach!  They were spent right here at home in Iowa, where temperatures are beyond cold, with wind chills hitting -35 and a blizzard that caused several accidents and at least one death.  More than one church service and meeting were cancelled for us, schools closed. Roads were terrible, so we stayed close to home and the fireplace.  We did get out daily to walk.....but inside of course!  I am back to walking over a mile, which feels good. 

Besides the weather being crazy, it seems our world has reached a new level in insanity with all the horrible senseless violence.  This attacking "soft targets" is so cowardly.  So is going after every police officer because of a few who abuse their position.  So.  Not. Okay. 

Our cleaning lady went in to have a kidney stone removed and ended up having major surgery for kidney cancer.  What a shock for her.....we are certainly praying for her full recovery.  With Joel and I cleaning this 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom house on our own, I must say I have a  new appreciation for
what she does here for us.  We don't know if she will be coming back to such physical work or not, so we wish her good health and a blessed 2015. 

I made a new stew this week, chicken and sweet potato stew with apple cider and apples.  It was not our favorite so back to the drawing board.  Note to self:  Next time you make a new recipe, cut it in half so you are not eating something you don't care for more than twice~!

We stayed home New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.  I was just not up to any activities besides eating out, which we did both days for lunch.  We also watched two movies....the first, "And So It Goes" was ..."ok".  We like Diane Keaton, but it was a bit raunchy for us.  The second movie, "The Hundred Foot Journey" was fantastic.  I highly recommend it!

2015..........Remember worrying about all the computers crashing when we left 1999 behind for 2000?  Nothing was going to work....utilities, etc. water shortage,  etc. etc.   We stored up water just in case.....Now it makes us laugh, but it was a big deal then.....and here we are into 2015.  We have a sense from God that this will be a pivotal year for us.

I have been reading a few Monica Ferris light fiction books, and the main character owns a knitting/needlepoint shop.  It put me in the mood to knit again , so I have started a winter wool-blend scarf.  It is more a practice piece since I have not picked up knitting needles for at least 20 years!  I am finishing up Derek Prince's book, "God's Word Heals".  I have enjoyed adding the Passion Translation to my daily devotionals.  The whole Bible is not yet translated, but I received several books of the Passion Translation for Christmas.   It is very poetic and Spirit focused.  It is not a study Bible, but a nice addition.  Especially the Psalms.  We are back to watching our favorite TV shows and teachings at Bethel and Charis/Andrew Wommack Ministries. 

I am not making any New Year's resolutions.  I am focusing more on a "word" or a "statement" for this year.  God has been speaking me to me about it, but nothing clear as of yet. 

We are excited to plan our trip to AZ.  Will be great to see my sister and her hubby, old friends, and new ones!  So what is happening in your corner of the world?

Until next time...........

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Renee, I like the new look of your blog!

Sorry to hear about your housekeeper. Will pray that the Lord brings her healing.

We've had some cold weather up here, and some snow, but nothing like what you've experienced! Oh dear, I cannot even imagine temperatures like that! Bundle up!

I do remember the fears of 2K! It's a good lesson for me - that many fears never end up coming to anything.

GOD BLESS!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon, thanks for coming by....lit is cold here for sure. Last night -13 I believe!