Saturday, March 28, 2015

Saturday's Scribbles

Good Saturday to you!  We are finally warming up again after getting 7 more inches of snow this past week.  What is up with that?!  Come back Spring!  Come back! 

Celebrating being Lyme free!

Speaking of Spring, I enjoyed celebrating my 67th birthday on the first day of Spring.  Our house was filled with flowers!  Yay!  For my birthday I had asked Joel for some cut flowers...the kind you find at our grocery store florist shop.  Not roses...to spendy!  So, to celebrate the day the Lyme died (March 19th, 2012), Joel came home with a big bouquet of Spring flowers.  Lovely.  Then Friday he came with another  bouquet for my birthday.  A short time later a delivery man brought a beautiful orchid to the house from our oldest daughter and her family.  WOW!  Saturday our oldest son and two of our grands came for a visit and brought a lovely vase of daffodils and a sweet miniature rose plant.  So special!  The fragrance is wonderful and everywhere I turn I see signs of Spring. 

Spring has come to our house!

As I mentioned, Saturday our oldest son and grandkids Grant and Greta came for a visit.  They enjoyed a few cribbage games with Papa while I cheered them on, and then we all went out for lunch at Ruby Tuesdays.  Joel had a funeral to tend to on Friday, but several phone calls and texts on my birthday and over the weekend rounded out the celebration.  Life is worth celebrating, and so is every birthday!
Cribbage time!
Joel was so busy this week and the weather was so bad, that we only walked 3 of the 7 days.  I did walk around the house one day for 20 minutes.  That was painfully monotonous!  With the weather warming back up we are looking forward to the river walks ,again, but today we stuck to the streets and sidewalks where the sun has warmed the cement and the snow is gone.

Speaking of sun, moving to Arizona means we will not have a basement, which means we will not have a lot of storage which means it is time to purge!  I have three large tubs of pictures and picture albums I am going through first since they are out of storage already.  I spent 5 hours this week putting together a photo book for our youngest, finishing one for our middle son, and creating one for of our son Kevin in memory.  Now, to go through the thousands of pictures.......  We had a couple thousand of slides that our oldest daughter Beth and our granddaughter Abbi put on a USB flash drive.  WOW!  We can just plug it into the TV and look at those old photos/slides anytime we want to.  What a blessing...and it takes up so little space!  I enjoy having photos in my hand, but we have too many!

Yep, purging.  Packing and purging has begun.  We will take only some of our furniture, and if we have something that has not been used for a couple years it will be sold or given to charity.  How many crockpots does one person need?? 

This morning I have been watching on youtube live stream the Firelight Conference in Australia.  It still is awesome to me that we can tune in l.i.v.e. across the world and worship with others.  Teachings are available with the click of a mouse.  And I can remember when a mouse was just that...a squeaky little gray rodent you tried to avoid!

Joel and I have been asked to speak at a small Lutheran church in SW Minnesota about our healing stories and what we have learned on healing and Holy Spirit.  We will be doing a one day seminar the third weekend of April.  Exciting!

Wednesday noon some friends stopped by for lunch and a short visit.  Joel and Dan went to seminary together and we have been friends as couples ever since.  When I was so ill and then Joel joined the ranks with me, Dan would often call and give support and encouragement as needed.  A true blessing.  A true friend through the good, the bad and the ugly. 

I started reading Jan Karon's latest book but can't seem to get into my favorite character, Father Tim right now.  Too much on my mind and too much purging and sorting to do.  So, I am sticking to short stories in the Guidepost magazines as the days winds down.  What are your reading?  Has Spring come to your corner of the world?

Until next time..............

3 comments:

NanaNor's said...

Dear Renee, Happy Belated Birthday; mine is today and I'm 63 yrs young.
How did I miss it that you were moving to AZ? Will you be near Linny? How excited, but I so remember our moves and purging. I don't go to garage sales much now and if I do I only buy things that we need and will use. Our neighbors went to the Mesa area for a month and now hubby is talking about doing that. It would be fun, if it happens next year, to meet up with you.
Hope you have a blessed warm day.
Love you flowers.
Hugs, Noreen

Sharon said...

Happiest Belated Birthday, Renee!! Mine is coming, and I'll be 61!

Did I miss that you were moving to AZ? Oh, I think you'll like it. We live in California, but Arizona is one of our very favorite places to visit. Best of luck on purging/packing. I still have work to do in that area - 2 1/2 years after moving...oops!

Haven't been reading much lately either. Been working on taxes - ugh.

Lovely flowers - and you deserve each and every one!

GOD BLESS!

Anita Johnson said...

Yes, happy belated birthday to you!